This easy savory overnight French toast casserole is something you'll always look forward to waking up to. This vegetarian version is made with gruyere, chives, dijon mustard, and other tasty ingredients. You can throw it together the night before so you can just toss it in the oven the next morning and you'll be thanking yourself for doing so!
2021 Savory French Toast Casserole Update
I first published this post in in 2018 but it was overdue for an update! Well, the recipe itself is the same but here are some new pictures...Of course, the day I went to take the pictures was SO rainy without good light all day...so another update won't be far behind!
I was SO happy you guys seemed to be as excited about this savoury overnight French toast bake as I am when I posted about it on Instagram.
I’ve been a fan of sweet overnight French toast bakes with berries and cream cheese, etc., for a while. But my sweet tooth will never dominate my savory tooth, so I don’t know what took me so long to make savory French toast!
I made my savory French toast in a loaf pan which makes enough for two really big servings or three-four smaller servings with sides. If you want to make a bigger portion, it’s easy to just double the ingredients and use a bigger pan!
- New to cooking with Gruyere? Don't be put off by the smell while you're grating it! I know it has a strong scent but it tastes much milder than it smells.
- This recipe calls for smooth dijon but if you don't have that, grainy dijon will work too
- Pleaseeeee try this with real maple syrup! I swear it's a game changer...sooo good!
Savory Overnight French Toast Bake with Gruyere & Chives (Vegetarian)
- 3 eggs
- 250 g French bread, cubed day-old (or it will get soggy), about half a large loaf
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard smooth
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup milk I use 2 or 3.25%
- 3 oz gruyere, shredded a little more than ⅓ cup
- salt and pepper
- Grease a loaf pan (9x5 inch) with butter until it's well-coated.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add milk, Dijon mustard, onion powder, shredded cheese, salt and pepper, and chives to the eggs. Mix well.
- Add the cubed bread to the egg mixture, and blend with your hands until all the bread is coated in the egg mixture.
- Pour the coated bread into the greased pan. Press the bread down with your fingers, filling in any gaps. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight (or at least four hours).
- The next day, preheat your oven to 350F. Set pan out to come to room temperature while your oven heats. Cook for 35 minutes in a convection oven, covering with tinfoil for the last ten minutes.(It's done when it looks "set," not soggy, and the bread is golden brown. It may need a few more minutes depending on your oven)Serve hot (with maple syrup!) or ketchup.
- AIR FRYER FRENCH TOAST WITH FROZEN WAFFLES
- CINNAMON RAISIN BREAD FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE FOR TWO
- VANILLA AND LEMON DUTCH BABY PUFF PANCAKE
I hope you love it - I know I do!
xo - C