Garlic cheese bread is easy to make and even easier to eat. And this recipe is going to change the game for you.
What makes this garlic cheese bread so outrageous, you ask? It's the sheer deliciousness of it all! It's a rich, indulgent (and easy) recipe that makes for the perfect side dish for pasta, soup, casseroles, or as an appetizer on its own!
There's no use in going half way with garlic bread, so we use all the cheesy, buttery goodness you could ask for to get the most incredible result.
I actually can't believe I haven't posted a garlic cheese bread recipe until now.
After all, this is a vegetarian comfort food blog! And garlic bread is one of those naturally vegetarian recipes that doesn't need any modifications or meat replacements.Jump to Recipe
It's the perfect side for a pasta night, a cozy appetizer, or even just to nosh on during a fun summer night. This isn't the time to worry about cheesy garlic breath!
Embrace it, I say.
While it may have taken me a while to share my recipe with you, I assure you it's absolutely worth the wait. This is a completely over-the-top delicious garlic cheese toast recipe that's going to blow your mind.
And as a gal who could put away a hefty does of garlic cheese toast on any given day, trust me when I say this will be the best garlic toast you've ever had!
By the way, I have a new page on my site with a bunch of helpful links. It has links to my social profiles, LTK, Amazon Storefront, etc. There's NO pressure to shop from any of these links, but if you're curious about the products I use, etc., that's where you'll find them. As always, your support is SO appreciated!
Garlic Cheese Bread Ingredients
For my outrageously garlic cheese bread recipe, you’ll need these ingredients:
- One loaf French or Italian bread (14 oz or about 400 g)
- Mayonnaise (trust me on this!)
- Shredded/grated mozzarella
- Shredded/grated Parmesan
- Salted butter, melted (add about ¼ teaspoon of salt if you don't use salted butter)
- Minced garlic (Use freshly minced garlic)
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
I strongly encourage you to grate your own cheese rather than buying it pre-shredded. It melts much better when you do!
Mayonnaise on garlic cheese bread?
Yes–you read it right! My garlic cheese bread recipe calls for mayonnaise.
It might seem strange. But trust me, it's a game changer. I know some people aren't big fans of mayonnaise, but I hope you can put any fears aside and at least give it a try for this recipe.
Why stop at butter when you can have butter, mayonnaise, AND cheese, right?
After all, we're not here to cut corners.
Garlic bread is at its best when its over the top, and mayonnaise takes it there! Of course, the loads of cheese and butter help too.
NOTE: This is obviously quite a lot of mayo for a garlic cheese bread recipe. If you're on the fence about mayo, feel free to reduce the amount a little bit.
Garlic bread instructions
Before we get to what to serve with garlic cheese bread, I'll tell you how to make it!
- First, you'll preheat your oven to 400F.
- Now it's time to melt the butter in the microwave and add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning to it. Set it aside for now.
- Place a long sheet of tinfoil (long enough to wrap the bread) on a large baking sheet.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half, lengthwise. Place it on the tinfoil on the cookie sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the mozzarella and fresh parsley. Stir well.
Using a brush or spoon, spread the melted butter on both halves of the bread.
Now take a spatula or spoon and spread the mayonnaise mixture on both halves of the bread. Make sure to spread the mixture all the way to the edges or they will burn. Here's how it looks with one half coated in the mayonnaise mixture and the other half with just the butter so far:
- Pull the ends of the foil together to cover the garlic cheese bread. Bake for ten minutes, then remove from the oven and open the tin foil. Add the grated parmesan and bake for about another 5 minutes (uncovered), or longer until the cheese is slightly golden and bubbly. Like this:
For the last minute or two, you can also turn your oven to broil to get a crispier result!
Once it's done, it's time to slice and serve it! Go ahead and serve the garlic cheese toast slices on their own.
OR, try one of these recipes for the perfect accompaniment.
What do you eat with garlic cheese bread?
The question should really be "What DON'T you eat garlic cheese bread with?" This versatile dish accompanies most vegetarian comfort food recipes perfectly.
It's the perfect side for dinner, and the cheese gives it a good amount of protein if you're looking to put a healthy spin on it. You can eat it for breakfast. You can eat it for lunch.
Of course, you can eat it for dinner.
It's okay to eat it for dessert too, if you ask me.
If you are looking for a delicious, cheesy, garlicky, buttery bread to enjoy with your dinner, look no further. This recipe is just what you're looking for.
Pairings for garlic cheese bread
As for the perfect accompaniments to serve with garlic bread, here are some ideas:
- THE ULTIMATE SMOKY & SPICY VODKA SAUCE FOR PASTA
- INCREDIBLE CHEESY ZUCCHINI LASAGNA ROLLUPS
- SUPER EASY CHEESY TORTELLINI BAKE
- BURST TOMATO PASTA WITH BASIL
- CREAMY CHIPOTLE PASTA WITH SPINACH
Can you reheat garlic bread with cheese?
Yes, garlic bread with cheese can be reheated. To reheat garlic bread with cheese, place it on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly again.
NOTE: If you're hesitant about the amount of mayo in this recipe or you're not big on mayonnaise in the first place, you can decrease the amount you use by ¼ or ½ cup.
Absolutely Outrageous Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread about 400 g, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cup mozzarella shredded
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley a small handful (or more, to taste), chopped
- 1 cup parmesan freshly grated
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 F.Slice loaf of bread in half lengthwise.Place one long sheet (at least 24 inches) of tin foil on a cookie sheet. Lay the two halves of bread, cut side up, on the tin foil. Melt salted butter* in the microwave and add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning to it. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mozzarella, and fresh parsley. Stir well. Set aside. Using a brush or spoon, spread the melted butter on both halves of the bread.Then, using a spatula or spoon, spread the mayonnaise mixture on both halves of the bread. Make sure to spread the mixture all the way to the edges or they will burn. Pull the ends of the foil together to cover the bread. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and open the tin foil.Sprinkle the bread with the grated parmesan cheese. Return to oven and bake uncovered for about 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is slightly golden and bubbly. For a crispier crust, broil for the last minute or two. Let sit for a few minutes, then cut into slices and serve warm.
Looking for other incredibly cheesy recipes? I've got you covered:
- ULTRA CREAMY & CHEESY POTATO GRATIN
- EASY CHEESY SCORED BAKED POTATOES
- CHEESY BEAN & LENTIL VEGETARIAN CASSEROLE
This recipe is going to come in soooo handy for Christmas parties and holiday events. It's also a suitable appetizer for dinner parties. Or, you know, just a regular Tuesday night!
During the summer, I love serving it with a salad for a meal and it ends up not feeling too heavy.
Hope you love it!
Get to know more about me, (Chelsea Kram) and XO&So here: About Me.
2022 Update: I have a TikTok showing this garlic cheese bread recipe in action if you want to see it!
2023 Update: This has become my new most popular recipe! People on Pinterest have been raving about it — I hope you love it too.