What makes this garlic cheese bread so outrageous, you ask? It’s the sheer deliciousness of it all! It’s a rich, indulgent (and easy) recipe that makes for the perfect side dish for pasta, soup, casseroles, or as an appetizer on its own! There’s no use in going half way with garlic bread, so we use all the cheesy, buttery goodness you could ask for to get the most incredible result.
I actually can’t believe I haven’t posted a garlic cheese bread recipe until now.
After all, this is a vegetarian comfort food blog! And garlic bread is one of those naturally vegetarian recipes that doesn’t need any modifications or meat replacements. It’s the perfect side for a pasta night, a cozy appetizer, or even just to nosh on during a fun summer night. This isn’t the time to worry about cheesy garlic breath! Embrace it, I say.
And as a gal who could put away a hefty does of garlic cheese toast on any given day, trust me when I say this will be the best garlic toast you’ve ever had!
Garlic Cheese Bread Ingredients
For my outrageously garlic cheese bread recipe, you’ll need these ingredients:
- One loaf French or Italian bread (14 oz or about 400 g)
- Shredded mozzarella
- Shredded Parmesan
- Salted butter, melted (add about 1/4 tsp of salt if you don’t use salted butter)
- Minced garlic
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
Mayonnaise on garlic cheese bread?
Yes–you read it right! My garlic cheese bread recipe calls for mayonnaise.
It might seem strange, but trust me, it’s a game changer. I know some people aren’t big fans of mayonnaise, but I hope you can put any fears aside and at least give it a try for this recipe.
Why stop at butter when you can have butter, mayonnaise, AND cheese, right? After all, we’re not here to cut corners.
Garlic bread is at its best when its over the top, and mayonnaise takes it there!
Before we get to what to serve with garlic cheese bread, I’ll tell you how to make it!
- First, you’ll preheat your oven to 400F.
- Now it’s time to melt the butter in the microwave and add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning to it. Set it aside for now.
- Place a long sheet of tinfoil (long enough to wrap the bread) on a cookie sheet.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half, lengthwise. Place it on the tinfoil on the cookie sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the mozzarella and fresh parsley. Stir well.
Using a brush or spoon, spread the melted butter on both halves of the bread.
Now take a spatula or spoon and spread the mayonnaise mixture on both halves of the bread. Make sure to spread the mixture all the way to the edges or they will burn. Here’s how it looks with one half coated in the mayonnaise mixture and the other half with just the butter so far:
- Pull the ends of the foil together to cover the garlic cheese bread. Bake for ten minutes, then remove from the oven and open the tin foil. Add the shredded parmesan and bake for about another 5 minutes (uncovered), or until the cheese is slightly golden and bubbly. Like this:
For the last minute or two, you can also turn your oven to broil to get a crispier result!
Once it’s done, it’s time to slice and serve it! Go ahead and serve the garlic cheese toast slices on their own. OR, try one of these recipes for the perfect accompaniment.
What to serve with garlic cheese bread
- THE ULTIMATE SMOKY & SPICY VODKA SAUCE FOR PASTA
Absolutely Outrageous Cheesy Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread about 400 g, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley a small handful (or more, to taste), chopped
- 1 cup parmesan freshly grated
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 F.Slice loaf of bread in half lengthwise.Place one long sheet (at least 24 inches) of tin foil on a cookie sheet. Lay the two halves of bread, cut side up, on the tin foil. Melt salted butter* in the microwave and add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning to it. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mozzarella, and fresh parsley. Stir well. Set aside. Using a brush or spoon, spread the melted butter on both halves of the bread.Then, using a spatula or spoon, spread the mayonnaise mixture on both halves of the bread. Make sure to spread the mixture all the way to the edges or they will burn. Pull the ends of the foil together to cover the bread. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and open the tin foil.Sprinkle the bread with the shredded parmesan cheese. Return to oven and bake uncovered for about 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is slightly golden and bubbly. For a crispier crust, broil for the last minute or two. Let sit for a few minutes, then cut into slices and serve warm.
Looking for other incredibly cheesy recipes? I’ve got you covered:
- ULTRA CREAMY & CHEESY POTATO GRATIN
- EASY CHEESY SCORED BAKED POTATOES
- CHEESY BEAN & LENTIL VEGETARIAN CASSEROLE
This recipe is going to come in soooo handy for Christmas parties and holiday events. Or, you know, just a regular Tuesday night! During the summer, I love serving it with a salad for a meal and it ends up not feeling too heavy.
Hope you love it!