Don't wait for your next family dinner to have mac and cheese. Serve yourself up a hearty serving of this classic vegetarian comfort food today. This baked version is perfect for one hungry person—dig in!
It's here, it's here: my first ever macaroni and cheese of the month! AKA: Mac of the month!
Each month, I'll be bringing you a new mac and cheese to try out. For this first installment on the first month of a new year, I thought I'd stick with a classic baked mac and cheese for one.
This recipe is for one serving. But it's super easy to duplicate if you're extra hungry or serving a bigger crowd.
This is my go-to recipe when I'm craving mac and cheese (which is always, if I'm being honest) and it's one I know by heart!
Baked mac and cheese for one...or more!
Many nights, I'm eating dinner alone. (Update: It's 2020, and a LOT of us are eating along now aren't we?) That's why I wanted to make a mac and cheese for one recipe for you guys, in case you're an honorary member of the solo dinner club too.
But hey, if you've got people around you gotta feed, go ahead and double, triple, quadruple this recipe until you get as much as you need!
I always get frustrated with recipes for one person that leave me feeling hungry. So I always try to keep my serving sizes on the more generous side. And that includes this easy mac and cheese recipe!
I want to emphasize that you can get creative with this recipe if you'd like. (Check out the recipes notes where I talk about this more!)
I recommend trying it just this way first. Then the next time if you think you want to experiment with different cheese, more spices, less spices, adding breadcrumbs...or whatever it may be, you should totally go for it!
And report back to me with the results.
Milk vs. cream
For the nutrition facts, I calculated the dish using half a cup of cream. This gives you a SUPER rich, tasty result. But I also often use ¼ cup milk and ¼ cream instead and it still turns out great.
One of the most glorious things about mac and cheese is there's no hard and fast rule about exactly what kind of cheese that needs to be! I used a mix of white and orange cheddar for the version you see in these pictures. But you can experiment! I talk more about some of the other delicious cheeses to use in mac n cheese in the recipe notes!
Baked Mac and Cheese for One
Baked Mac and Cheese for One
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tbsp butter For the noodles
- 1 tablespoon butter For the sauce
- ½ cup cream You can also use milk and it will be a slightly less rich but still delicious option.
- ½ cup shredded cheese For the sauce
- ⅓ cup shredded cheese For the topping
- ⅛ teaspoon powdered mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder Or more, to taste
- A pinch salt To taste
- A pinch pepper To taste
- ¾ cup uncooked macaroni noodles
- A pinch dried parsley For the topping.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni according to package directions, but subtract one minute off of the cooking time since the noodles will cook more in the oven.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- When your noodles are done cooking, drain them and add a tablespoon of butter to them and mix. Set aside. (It's okay if your noodles cool off. In fact, this stops them from soaking in too much liquid while they cook in the oven.)
- On medium heat, melt the other one tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan.
- When the butter is totally melted, add the flour, whisking constantly.
- Once a paste forms, slowly add the milk or cream, stirring constantly.
- When your sauce has thickened up but the chunks of flour are mostly mixed in, add your salt, pepper, powdered mustard, and onion powder.
- Turn off the heat and add ½ a cup of the cheese, reserving the other ⅓ cup of cheese for the topping. There will still be enough heat in the sauce to melt the cheese.
- Once the cheese has melted and the sauce is a good consistency, add your cooked noodles to the sauce pan. Stir until the noodles are coated in the sauce.
- Grease an oven-safe dish with butter. Pour your noodles and sauce into the dish. Add the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is nice and bubbly and just how you like it.
- Let sit for a few minutes before you serve it. Top with some dried parsley if you'd like and ENJOY!
That's it for now! Hope you love it! Let me know what other kinds of macaroni and cheese recipes you'd like to see!
xo - C