If you've ever been faced with needing to make a vegetarian appetizer or side dish and you had no idea where to start, I have JUST the recipe for you! These baked tomatoes stuffed with parmesan and panko crumbs are the perfect thing to serve a crowd, or just yourself. They're ready in under half an hour, and they require fewer than ten ingredients.
I've had such good luck with finding great tomatoes lately. And when I placed a grocery order this past weekend, I accidentally ordered about 16 Roma tomatoes when I meant to order a case of cherry tomatoes. This turned out to be a happy accident because I've been making all sorts of things with them, including these baked tomatoes!
The easiest vegetarian appetizer or side-dish ever
Coming up with a quick and easy vegetarian appetizer can be tricky if you're not used to cooking that way. But with this recipe in your arsenal, you'll always have a crowd-pleasing option! I really think this is also one of the most perfect summer side dish recipes you could ever dream of!
It's CRAZY easy to make. Don't believe me? Check out my Instagram story highlights under "Baked tomatoes" where I walk you through the process. The word process might even be a stretch since they're so easy to make!
What to serve with baked tomatoes stuffed with Parmesan and panko crumbs
You've got so many options when it comes to what to serve with this recipe.
If you're making it for an appetizer, your options are almost endless. I personally love it as an appetizer before pasta! If you're a carnivore, it will also work really well with fish, chicken, or beef.
It will pair really well with almost any Italian meal as a vegetarian side dish. It would also pair well with eggs for breakfast. Or eggs for any time of day, if you're like me!
By the way, did you check out my scrambled eggs with ricotta and chives yet?
Okay, now on to the recipe!
Baked Tomatoes Stuffed with Parmesan and Panko Crumbs
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- ½ cup Panko crumbs
- 1.5 tablespoon butter melted
- 4 tablespoon parmesan grated
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 generous pinch salt
- 8-10 grinds black pepper
- 1 splash olive oil for coating the tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375F.Cut two tomatoes from lengthwise (from stem to core) and scoop out the insides
- Lay a sheet of tinfoil in an oven-safe dishCoat tin foil with a splash of olive oil or avocado oilRub all sides of tomatoes (including the exposed part) with the oil on the pan
- Melt about 1.5 tablespoon (a spoonful) of butter in the microwaveWhen the butter is melted, add the panko crumbs, parmesan, italian seasoning, parsley, salt, and pepperStir to combine until all crumbs are coatedScoop the panko mixture into each tomato half until it’s all used up
- Bake tomatoes for 18-20 minutesYou’ll know they’re done when the panko is golden brown. The tomatoes will be HOT. Let them sit for a minute or two before serving. Garnish with more parsley and parmesan, if youd
I wasn't lying when I said these were easy!
Hope you love them! Please comment down below and let me know what you think when you try them.
xo - C