Packs of oatmeal that you just have to add hot water to are great, but baked oatmeal doesn’t take much time or effort and it’s even better! This banana chocolate chip baked oatmeal with toasted walnuts combines a bunch of my favorite ingredients packed into a hearty and delicious breakfast. One of the great things about baked oatmeal (or any oatmeal!) is you can get really creative with the things you add to it. Raisins, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, dried fruit, coconut – whatever you like – it’s sure to be good!
I created this one some of my favorite ingredients, including toasted walnuts, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, and bananas. I would sometimes serve this baked oatmeal in a bowl and heat it up, but it stores really well on the counter so you can just cut a piece whenever you want and eat it at room temp! I’d say the texture isn’t quite firm enough to eat like a bar. It’s best to eat this when you can put it on a bowl or plate or you’ll make a big mess (but hey, that’s okay too!)
Adding the toasted walnuts to this recipe isn’t a step that should be skipped. It adds a layer of flavor and the perfect amount of crunch. AND it literally only takes 5 minutes to toast them in the oven alongside your oatmeal!You just put your chopped walnuts on a pan and add them to the oven when there’s five minutes left on your timer! Then when everything’s done, sprinkle them on top of the oatmeal and you’ll be so glad you did.
A Few Notes:
- I usually use lactose-free cow’s milk when I make this. You can experiment with whatever milk you have on hand.
- Make sure your bananas are nice and ripe so they mash easily and give your baked oatmeal the right texture.
- Set out two mixing bowls, and use on for wet ingredients and one for dry ingredients. You’ll combine them before they go in the oven.
- This is the exact measuring cup I use to melt my butter in the microwave. One thing I love about it is it never gets too hot so you can grab it right out of the microwave without gloves!
Okay, I’ve probably talked enough, hey? Here’s the recipe!
Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal with Toasted Walnuts
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts roasted
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg or allspice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt 3 tbsp. of butter in microwave or on stove and set aside to cool slightly.
- Grease an 8 x 8 pan and set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients (except chopped walnuts) to one mixing bowl and all wet ingredients (except butter) to another mixing bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients then whisk melted butter in. Add to greased pan, and put into the oven for 30 minutes.
- When there are five minutes left on the timer, put the chopped walnuts on a pan and add to the oven beside the oatmeal mix for five minutes to toast them (don’t skip the walnuts - they’re one of the best parts!). Remove the walnuts from the oven.
- My oatmeal is always ready after 30 minutes, but yours may take longer. Cook until the centre looks set. Add the walnuts to the top of the oatmeal and let cool on the counter.
- Serve immediately or cover with tin foil and keep on the counter for up to five days!
- If you find really big bananas, one might be enough to fill one cup, but I usually have to use two bananas to get a full cup of mashed bananas
- Feel free to play around with the cinnamon and allspice measurements. If you don't have allspice, a bit of nutmeg will do!
Please let me know if you try it and whatcha think!
xo – C
This post may contain some “affiliate links”. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase a product/service, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. However, I only recommend products, services, and/or business that I personally use, love, and/or believe will add value to my readers. Thank you so much for your support!