We are starting off a new month with a bang…and some basil! This basil whipped feta with roasted tomatoes is the perfect summer appetizer. You can use it as a dip for crackers, spread it on crostini, or use it for dipping veggies. Not to mention, it’s a great way to use up all that basil in your garden before it dies! In fact, that’s how this recipe came to exist.
If you’re new to the world of whipped feta, welcome! You’re about to love your life a whole lot more. It’s cut with a bit of cream cheese to get the perfect creamy texture and it also makes it a bit less salty. When you blend cream cheese and feta in your food processor (with a touch of olive oil) for a few minutes, it gets fluffy and creamy…just how we like it!
Basil Whipped Feta Ingredients
Besides how delicious it is, I think you’ll appreciate how few ingredients you need to make basil whipped feta (or any whipped feta recipe) for yourself.
For this particular recipe, you’ll need:
- Feta cheese (I crumble it from a block rather than buying it crumbled)
- Cream cheese
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil leaves
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Bread for spreading, or veggies or crackers for dipping
- It’s very important to let your feta and cream cheese get to room temperature before processing other them. Otherwise, your basil whipped feta will be more like basil clumped feta.
- Feta is very salty so I recommend sticking to unsalted crackers or chips for dipping.
Basil Whipped Feta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Food processor
- Sheet pan
- 8 oz crumbled feta cheese at room temperature
- 3 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 10 fresh basil leaves loosely chopped
- olive oil just a drizzle
For the Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- fresh cracked black pepper
For the Basil Whipped Feta
- Let your crumbled feta cheese and your cream cheese come to room temperature for at least one hour before you add them to the food processor. Don't skip this or the consistency won't be right!
- Combine the crumbled feta and cream cheese for about 1 to 2 minutes in your food processor.
- Add the loosely chopped basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil to the food processor.
- Keep combining feta cheese, cream cheese, olive oil, and basil leaves in your food processor until the whipped feta is creamy. This will take a few minutes. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the food processor and ensure everything gets incorporated. You can taste test at this point and decide if you want to add extra basil.
For the Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Toss the halved cherry tomatoes with the minced garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Spread on a large sheet pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes are very soft and fragrant. Stir halfway through.
- Top the basil whipped feta with the roasted tomatoes. Serve with crackers, veggies, or other dippers. Or, spread the whipped feta and tomatoes on toast. Enjoy!
If you love this basil whipped feta as much as I think you will…
Here are two more recipes you’ll want to try next:
- WHIPPED FETA WITH CRANBERRIES, PISTACHIOS, & HONEY (awesome Christmas appetizer!)
- WHIPPED FETA GRILLED CHEESE WITH BLISTERED TOMATOES
Enjoy the rest of your summer! Plenty more fun recipes on their way….Stay tuned!