Prepare to make all of your weekend brunch dreams come true with this breakfast grilled cheese Benedict for my grilled cheese of the month.
It starts with two slices of thick white bread filled with sharp cheddar cheese. You grill it up then top the sandwich with my special mashed avocado recipe, tomato slices, a poached egg, and last but not least…hollandaise sauce!
It’s a grilled cheese sandwich SO hearty you eat it with a knife and fork. You deserve this.
Throw your diet out the door and prepare to dig in. There’s nothing reserved about my breakfast grilled cheese recipe and that’s just the way I like it.
That being said, when I first tested the recipe, I made sure someone was around to split it with me because I knew I’d overdo it and end up in a food coma if I was left to my own devices. HA! Not that there’s anything wrong with that every once in a while, right?
…I could just picture someone finding me on the kitchen floor delirious and covered in hollandaise sauce.
Breakfast grilled cheese Benedict
Anyway, this brunch recipe is basically a classic grilled cheese sandwich combined with a vegetarian eggs Benedict. Put it all together and you get the rich, satisfying, savory meal we all crave some mornings!
It’s really easy to make, too.
There are a few different steps and things to make, but none of it is super involved or complicated. Chances are, the hardest part will be poaching the egg!
But even that’s pretty simple if you use tried and trued tips for how to poach an egg. Click here for the tips I follow for poaching eggs.Jump to Recipe
- 2 slices thick, crusty white bread (this grilled cheese recipe needs something sturdier than flimsy sandwich bread)
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Shredded cheese in grilled cheese sandwiches is the best and it helps you get those crispy cheese pieces on the sides.
- Hollandaise sauce. Use mix to save time or make your own. I do recommend adding a pinch of paprika to yours though – so good!
- Ripe avocado with red pepper flakes, salt, and onion powder (more on this later)
- Tomato slices
- A poached egg
- Hollandaise sauce
How to make my breakfast grilled cheese Benedict
You can switch up the order of poaching the eggs, making the hollandaise, mashing the avocado, and cooking the grilled cheese, but here’s how I like to do it.
First, I make the hollandaise sauce and set it aside. Stir it occasionally so it doesn’t get clumpy.
Then, I mash the avocado and add the red pepper flakes, onion powder, and salt. This is my magical avocado mash recipe I’ve been using for years. The red pepper flakes and onion complement the avocado perfectly without overwhelming the taste.
Next, I cook the grilled cheese.
Once I add the sandwiches to the pan to start cooking, I also start boiling the water to poach the egg.
I cook my sandwich for about 3-4 minutes per side in a covered pan, until each side is nice and golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Set your grilled cheese aside and top it with mashed avocado and tomato slices.
Poach your egg (4 minutes is perfect for mine) and place one egg on top of the sandwich.
Drizzle with hollandaise sauce and prepare to indulge in a life-changing breakfast sandwich. I topped mine with some pepper and a pinch of fresh parsley.
I hope you guys will understand if I don’t list specific ingredient amounts for everything for grilled cheese recipes. The thing is, the ingredient amounts depend so much on the size of your bread!
But chances are, you can guess how much butter you’ll need (if you ask me, the more the merrier). So please use my ingredient amounts as guidelines for things like cheese and butter. Feel free to use more or less as you please!
We’re just about to get into the details for this recipe, but first you might also want to check out the other Grilled Cheeses of the Month! I’ve got all kinds of other unique grilled cheese recipes include a dill pickle grilled cheese and a mozzarella stick grilled cheese!
Now, onto the breakfast grilled cheese!
Breakfast Grilled Cheese Eggs Benedict Sandwich
My Special Mashed Avocado
- ½ large ripe avocado, mashed finely
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes don't worry - this doesn't make it super spicy
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- 2 slices thick, crusty white bread
- 50 grams sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or more, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter or more, to taste (depends on the size of your bread)
- tomato slices
- 1 egg, poached
- ¼ cup hollandaise sauce or more, to taste
- First, make the hollandaise sauce and set it aside. Stir it occasionally so it doesn't get clumpy and keep it warm.
- Mash the avocado and add the red pepper flakes, onion powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Next, cook the grilled cheese. Add one tablespoon of butter (or more) to one side of each slide of bread. Heat your pan on medium heat. Once hot, place the buttered side of one slice of bread down. Top with shredded cheese and the other slice of bread, buttered side out. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side in a covered pan, until each side is nice and golden brown and the cheese is melted.Once you add the sandwiches to the pan to start cooking, start boiling the water to poach the egg.
- Set your grilled cheese aside and top it with mashed avocado and tomato slices.Poach your egg (4 minutes is perfect for mine) and place one egg on top of the sandwich. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce. I top mine with some pepper and a pinch of fresh parsley. Serve hot! Enjoy.
I have been DYING to share my breakfast grilled cheese Benedict with you guys. I really hope you’re as excited about it as I am!
Seriously – thank you so much for checking out my recipe. If you give it a try, please let me know what you think. It makes my day every time someone enjoys one of my recipes. It really means so much to me!
Please don’t forget to share on Pinterest if you find something you like either!
Until next time,
XO – C