It's no secret I'm a die-hard fan of main dish casserole recipes. And when you combine two of my favorite things - potatoes and a vegetarian casserole - you get this broccoli cheddar egg and hash brown casserole.
It's loaded with cheese, broccoli, and just a handful of other ingredients. It requires minimal prep work and you don't even need to pan fry the hash browns ahead of time — you can cook them right from frozen!
Vegetarian comfort food is always high on my list of priorities. But ESPECIALLY with everything going on in the world right now, I think most of us are looking for cozy, comforting foods. And this recipe certainly delivers!
Broccoli Cheddar Egg and Hash Brown Casserole
I've really been focusing on using up what I have in the pantry or the freezer lately. I had a massive bag of frozen hash browns along with some broccoli I needed to use up, and from that, my broccoli cheddar egg and hash brown casserole was born!
Some hash brown casseroles call for cooking the hash browns on the stove before adding them to the casserole. But the trick with this recipe is cooking just the hash browns in your baking dish before adding anything else!
The other time-saving component of this recipe is you don't need to cook the broccoli ahead of time either. Instead, you're going to cut just the florets (the dark green bits at the top) into really teeny tiny pieces so they'll cook in the oven.
The nice thing about broccoli is that it's so easy to chop up. Unlike certain other vegetables that shall not be named.
After 25 minutes, you'll turn the heat down and add the rest of your ingredients. That time when the hash browns cook is the perfect chance to chop your broccoli, shred your cheese, or whatever else you need to do!
Mind you, it definitely doesn't require 25 minutes of preparation.
You'll have everything ready for this hash brown casserole in under 10 minutes! And the entire breakfast casserole can be ready in about an hour.
Yes — I'm calling it a breakfast casserole but you can eat this anytime of day. In fact, I had it for dinner the other night!
Other vegetarian main dish casserole recipes
Like I said, I'm a die hard fan of vegetarian breakfast casseroles. So you can bet I've got some great recipes for them!
Here are a few others to try sometime:
Vegetarian Wife Saver Breakfast Casserole
French Toast Casserole with Cinnamon Raisin Bread & Cream Cheese
Egg Casserole with Cottage Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper
Ready to create this casserole for yourself? Here's how!
Broccoli Cheddar Egg & Hash Brown Casserole
- 4 cups frozen hash browns diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 eggs
- 3 cups shredded cheese divided into 2 cups and 1 cup
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups broccoli florets finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 F. In a large bowl, toss the frozen hash browns with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the hash brown mixture into a greased 9 x 13 oven-safe dish. Pat them down into place so there are no big gaps in the dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
- While the hash browns bake, beat 10 eggs in a bowl. Add 2 cups of shredded cheese, chopped broccoli, milk, and all seasonings. Mix well.When the hash browns are done, take them out and turn the oven to 350 F.
- Pour the egg mixture oven the baked hash browns. Sprinkle the additional cup of shredded cheese on top.
- When the oven is back down to 350 F, return the baking dish to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the center is set and doesn't jiggle too much when you move it.
- Let cool slightly before cutting into pieces and serving. Serve on its own or add ketchup or maple syrup.
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of this one!
By the way, I've got another easy broccoli recipe here if you have some left: EASY ASIAGO AND BROCCOLI SHELLS PASTA
Hope you're all staying safe and healthy, my friends. Sending out lots of love your way!
XO - C
This was amazing!! Easy to do,and delicious!
Chelsea Kram – XO&So: Vegetarian Comfort Food
Yay!!! So glad to hear you enjoyed it, Lisa. Thanks for the feedback! XO
Excellent. I had the same deal. Getting rid of frozen potatoes and broccoli. I added some julienned spinach and bacon (sorry). I also made a hollandaise as well because I clearly am a monster. Happy 2020!
I am so glad I came across this recipe. I have so much leftovers, and have every ingredient needed for this breakfast bake. Thank you.
Chelsea Kram – XO&So: Vegetarian Comfort Food
That makes me so happy to hear! Thanks Sharon XO