A slightly spicy mix of lentils, beans, tomatoes all topped with cheese tortilla chips!? Don't mind if I do. This cheesy tortilla lentil skillet is the kind of easy dinner recipe that's going to make it into your regular meal rotation! It gets bonus points for being incredibly easy to make and it's ready in just about half an hour.Jump to Recipe
The first time I made this, I realized it had a LOT in common with my cheesy lentil and bean casserole. But there are some very important distinctions. For example, this one is topped with cheesy chips! And it's served in a skillet which adds an exciting element to any meal. You also top it with sour cream and green onions, so it's a creamier dish.
And we can't forget the addition of chipotle peppers in adobo. I have been going through cans of those FAST lately.
Let's make it happen!
Cheesy Tortilla Lentil Skillet Ingredients
Here's what you need:
- Fire roasted tomatoes (plain canned tomatoes will also work)
- Canned lentils
- Canned black beans (or kidney beans)
- Chili powder
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or about ¼ cup canned chipotle sauce)
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese (shredded from the block – do not use bagged cheese)
- Sour cream
- Green onions
Tips and notes for this cheesy tortilla lentil skillet
- Shred your own cheese from the block! Don't buy those bags of pre-shredded cheese. They have stuff added to them to stop it from sticking together, but it also makes it suck at melting. (I have a whole post on the subject here.)
- Don't skip the sour cream and green onion topping!
- If you're not serving this right away, I recommend cooking the lentil mixture first and not adding the chips/cheese. Once you're ready to serve it, add the chips and cheese so the chips don't get soggy.
- If you can't find chipotle peppers in adobo, you can use some chipotle sauce instead–I'd recommend about ¼ cup.
- In addition to the chopped chipotle pepper, I like to add a bit of the adobo sauce as well to kick up the flavor!
Cheesy Chipotle Tortilla Lentil Skillet
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 19 oz can black beans drained and rinsed, kidney beans work too
- 19 oz can lentils drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo finely chopped, (I also add a few teaspoons of the adobo sauce for more flavor/spice)
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups tortilla chips lightly crushed
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese I use cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese
- sour cream
- ¼ green onion, diced
- Heat a large pot on medium heat and add olive oil.Cook diced onion and chopped garlic for about five minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, chili peppers in adobo, and salt. Cook for another minute.
- Add the drained and rinsed beans and lentils, and canned tomatoes. Stir well. Cook on medium heat (uncovered) for about 20 minutes.Turn your oven to broil.
- When the lentil mixture is done cooking, transfer it to the skillet. Top with tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Place under the broiler for two-four minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
- Top with sour cream, green onions, and avocado. Use a spoon to break up the cheesy tortilla chip topping when serving.
Other skillet recipes
Put that skillet to good use and give one of these recipes a try next:
- VANILLA AND LEMON DUTCH BABY PUFF PANCAKE
- SKILLET CORNBREAD WITH JALAPENO, CHEDDAR, AND HONEY
- FRENCH ONION GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
I hope you love this cheesy chipotle tortilla version of a lentil skillet as much as I do.
PS. If we aren't connected on Instagram, find the XO&So page here and tell me this post sent ya!