You know that big bag of potatoes you’ve got sitting in your pantry? I’ve got the perfect easy potato recipe to use them up! These easy cheesy scored baked potatoes have become a dinnertime staple in my house. And I think you’re going to love them just as much!
Unlike traditional hasselback potatoes, these scored potatoes aren’t sliced as thinly. Instead, they’re cut ALMOST all the way through about every centimetre. Then when they’re topped with melted butter and seasonings, there’s more surface area to coat so every bite of potato tastes even better.
There are a lot of ways to make baked potatoes. And in my 30 years, I’m yet to find one I don’t like. But these are at the top of my list. Not only are they crazy easy to make, but they taste soooo good!
Here’s what you’ll need if you want to make some scored baked potatoes for yourself.
- Large baking potatoes (russet potatoes work great)
- Unsalted butter
- Fresh parsley
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded parmesan or asiago
Start of by giving your potatoes a good scrub. I like to cut small pieces off the potatoes to “level” them so each half will lay flat on the baking sheet.
Then, you’ll cut each potato in half lengthwise. Next, you’ll slowly slice the potatoes about every centimetre, careful not to go right through the potato. But sometimes this takes a bit of time to get the hang of things.
Don’t worry if you slice the whole way through — just save those pieces and bake them anyway!
Next, you’ll melt some butter in the microwave. It seems like a lot of butter, but just go with it. There’s more surface area to cover once the potatoes are scored. And we’re all about buttery goodness over here!
Now you’ll sprinkle your seasonings and parsley on the buttered potatoes.
Now it’s time to put your potatoes in the oven! You’re going to take them out after 40 minutes, and top them with some cheese. My favorite part, obviously. Now put the potatoes in the oven for another ten minutes to cook the cheese.
If you want really crispy roasted potatoes, you can cook them for even longer. Just be careful not to let them burn.
All done! If you have any melted butter left over, drizzle it over the cooked potatoes. Time to eat. Top your potatoes with more fresh parsley and some sour cream (or any of your other favorite toppings!) and enjoy.
I love serving my baked potatoes with Gardein tenders and a side of veggies. It’s like a classic “meat and potatoes” meal without the meat but just as satisfying and delicious.
I think the versatility of potato side dishes is unlike anything else. They go with so many different things and there are so many fun ways to make them!
Other easy potato recipes
If you’ve got more potatoes left to use up, don’t worry. I’ve got you covered with even more easy potato recipes!
Okay, onto the specifics. Here’s exactly how you can make my easy cheesy scored baked potatoes for yourself!
Easy Cheesy Scored Baked Potatoes
Easy Cheesy Scored Baked Potatoes
- 2 large baking potatoes I use russets
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1-2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parmesan or asiago shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Slice each half widthwise about 6-8 times — but not all the way through! Fan potatoes slightly so the butter can work its way between each piece.
- Melt butter in the microwave. Brush it onto each potato half. Combine paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture onto the potatoes, then sprinkle with fresh parsley.Place on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of cheese onto each potato. Return to oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until tender*. When done cooking, drizzle any additional butter on the potatoes and sprinkle with more parsley, if desired.Top with sour cream or your other favorite toppings and enjoy!
Can’t wait to hear how these turn out for you!
XO – C