I can’t pick just one favorite thing about an egg casserole with cottage cheese. Sure, the added protein is fantastic. But the texture and taste it adds is hard to beat! I love a breakfast egg casserole ANY time of year (I make one usually at least once a week), but I know egg casseroles are a popular Christmas breakfast option, so I wanted to get my FAVORITE breakfast egg casserole recipe up for you in time for the big day!
Your new favorite easy breakfast casseroleJump to Recipe
This easy breakfast casserole uses white cheddar, cottage cheese, roasted red peppers, (and sometimes spinach) among other ingredients to make it the perfect comforting, filling breakfast you want. I recommend shredding your own white cheddar rather than buying the pre-shredded kind for best results (here’s why). But it’s definitely not the end of the world to use bagged cheese for this recipe either.
How to make my egg casserole with cottage cheese and roasted red peppers
To make this easy breakfast casserole, start by preheating your oven to 400F.
Then shred your cheese, chop your roasted red peppers, and melt your butter. In a large bowl, add your cottage cheese, melted butter, shredded cheese, eggs, and red pepper. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and onion powder. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Make sure eggs are mixed in well — you don’t need to beat them separately before adding them as long as you mix well.
Grease an 8×8 baking dish. Pour the mixture in and bake for 35 minutes. Remove and top with tin foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes (or longer if not set). You want the edges to be slightly brown and the center to be set and firm.
Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Tips for making this egg casserole recipe
- You can make this the night before and bake it in the morning. I like to let it sit for at least 20-30 minutes to come to room temperature before baking.
- Don’t skip the tin foil covering for the last 5-10 minutes of baking or you might find the top gets really crispy (unless that’s what you like!)
- This is the perfect thing to make the night ahead and just reheat the next day. I find egg casseroles reheat really well!
- The Savor organic roasted red peppers that I get at Superstore are awesome. I found them here too.
- Using good quality butter and cheese and fresh eggs is always recommended. I find it makes an especially positive difference in this recipe!
- This will make four big pieces. If you have young kids, it could also serve a family of 5-6 if some kids have smaller servings.
- Okay, don’t freak out. But I LOVE adding a bit of maple syrup on top of eggs. Try it!
Easy Egg Casserole with Cottage Cheese and Roasted Red Peppers
- 8 eggs
- ¾ stick butter
- 1 + ¾ cups white cheddar shredded
- 1 + ½ cups cottage cheese
- 2 roasted red peppers diced, approx. one cup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp. flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen spinach thawed and squeezed with paper towel
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Shred cheese, chop roasted red peppers, and melt butter. If using spinach, thaw frozen spinach and squeeze with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add eggs, cottage cheese, shredded whiter cheddar, melted butter, and roasted red peppers (and spinach if using) to a large bowl. Mix until combined*. In another bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, and onion powder. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or bake right away for 35 minutes, then cover with tinfoil and bake for another 5-10 minutes (or longer if needed), until center is set and looks firm and edges on top are browned. Cool 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Let me know what you think! Hope you love it.
XO – C