Okay — we’ve gotta keep a sense of normalcy wherever we can, right? That’s why I’m still going ahead with my grilled cheese recipe of the month, and for March it happens to be a goat cheese grilled cheese with honey and red pepper flakes. Dig in!
It’s no secret goat cheese + red pepper flakes + honey is one of my favorite combinations. It only makes sense to make a goat cheese grilled cheese with those added into it!
The secret to my goat cheese grilled cheese
Jump to Recipe
Here’s the thing with this recipe I really need you to know: the ingredient quantities are just guidelines!
Grilled cheese recipes are tricky in a way. Unless everyone is using the same size and type of bread, you’ll need different amounts of cheese, butter, and fillings.
And some of us like a grilled cheese sandwich that’s packed to the brim with cheese (*raises hand*) while others prefer a more modest amount of cheese.
There’s really nothing modest about this grilled cheese. It’s super rich and flavorful.
If you’re serving it with tomato soup, you might only eat half for dipping and save the rest for later. I mean, I can never resist finishing the whole thing but maybe you will.
By the way, you can click here for my favorite tomato soup recipe that’s perfect for dipping grilled cheese into…Yum!
So keep that in mind while you’re making this goat cheese grilled cheese. My guidelines err on the side of “more is more.”
But I think it’s always better to overdo it with butter/cheese. etc., than the other way around.
Check out all that cheese and honey loaded on!
Here’s what you need
Planning to try this goat cheese grilled cheese for yourself? You’ve made a wise choice.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter. I like using really good quality, grass-fed butter for grilled cheese sandwiches. It makes a difference!
- Red pepper flakes
- Thick, good quality white bread. I buy a loaf unsliced and then cut it myself so I can make the pieces nice and thick.
- Crumbled, plain goat cheese.
- Shredded white cheddar cheese. Shredded mozzarella works too.
- Liquid honey. You want to be able to drizzle it all over the bread rather than spreading it.
When you melt the butter with the red pepper flakes in it and let it all cook together for about five minutes, the butter gets infused with the spice from the red pepper. If you notice some of the flakes stick in the pan when you flip your sandwich, you can sprinkle more on when you serve it.
Other grilled cheese recipes
Can’t get enough grilled cheese? Me neither! Luckily, I’ve got plenty more recipes where this came from.
Time to eat!
Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese with Honey and Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 slices thick, good quality white bread I use a crusty French loaf I slice myself!
- 2 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 2 oz white cheddar shredded (can also use shredded mozzarella)
- 2 tbsp liquid honey divided in half
- 3* tbsp butter melted
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes more or less, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium low heat WITH the red pepper flakes. This allows the butter to be infused with the spice from the flakes. Allow to cook for about five minutes, careful not to let it burn.Carefully transfer the melted butter to a small bowl. Set aside the pan for the grilled cheese — don't wash it!Use a pastry brush or the back of a spoon to spread the butter on ONE side of BOTH slices of bread (you likely won't use all of this butter*).
- Heat the pan again over medium heat. Arrange one slice of bread buttered-side down on the pan.Add the crumbled goat cheese** and shredded cheese** to the bread, and drizzle one tablespoon of honey overtop. Top this with the other piece of buttered bread, buttered side out to form the sandwich.
- Cover with a lid to help the cheese melt. Cook until the bottom of each slice of bread is toasted and golden brown and the cheese is melted, likely 5-7 minutes.When done, drizzle the top of the sandwich with another tablespoon of honey. If some of your red pepper flakes stayed in the pan and not the sandwich, you can sprinkle more on before serving. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
I hope this recipe makes your day. Please let me know how it turns out!
XO – C
Got a craving for more goat cheese recipes?
Check these out:
- SAVORY BREAD PUDDING WITH GOAT CHEESE & HONEY
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH MAC & CHEESE WITH GOAT CHEESE
- THE BEST EVER BAKED GOAT CHEESE DIP APPETIZER