Can grilled cheese get even better than the classic bread, cheese, and butter combo? I know that's hard to beat...but the answer is YES! And it's SO easy to do!
If you have ten extra seconds in your grilled cheese making process then you have time to take it to the next level. This is a super easy hack to kick the classic version up a notch. And you'll be SO glad you did.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of my all-time favorite foods. When it comes to vegetarian comfort food, or any comfort food for that matter, you really can't beat it.
When I say grilled cheese is right up there with mac and cheese as far as my favourite foods, I mean it. And if you know anything about me and how much I love mac and cheese, you know that's a BIG statement!
How to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Ever
Okay...are you ready for it? It's just one easy step...
Season Your Butter!!!
And you don't season it with just anything... I've come up with the perfect blend of seasoning to add to your butter to make the sandwich the best ever.
You'll see what I use to season my butter in the recipe down below.
There's another step I like to take to make grilled cheese better that I also want to tell you about. It isn't AS important as seasoning the butter, but for me, it really helps make the sandwich the best it can be.
Cook Your Grilled Cheese in the Oven Instead of in a Pan
If you want your grilled cheese to be uniformly crispy and you don't want to stand at the stove waiting for each side to cook perfectly, cook it in the oven instead!
It's even easier and I think it results in a way better sandwich.
The right temperature will depend on the type of bread you're using, how much cheese you're using, and how hot your oven is!
I usually use plain white bread for grilled cheese (I'm classic that way) and I bake my grilled cheese at 450F for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
I usually start checking it after three minutes and make sure it's not getting too crispy. Once it looks how I want it, I flip it over and cook for about the same amount of other time!
If you haven't tried making it in the oven before, play around with the temperature/time a bit until you find out what works for you! It might also be different for you depending on how cooked you want your sandwich to be...some like it crispy and some prefer it on the softer side!
Now let's get to the good stuff...
Here's my recipe for a GREAT grilled cheese sandwich!
PS....This recipe is on the "loosey goosey" end of the spectrum as far as quantities. What do I mean by that? Basically that you don't need super specific ingredient quantities to make it!
It's basically impossible to screw this up, which is why I put "a pinch" for some of the ingredients. It's also up to you to choose the type of bread and cheese you want to use so I'm not going to get into specifics with that.
But if you ever want to get more into the details with me, you can also comment below with your questions and I'd love to chat!!!
Best Grilled Cheese Ever
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices cheese ***
- 1.5 tablespoon butter Or more, to taste
- a pinch thyme
- a pinch red pepper flakes
- a pinch onion powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat your oven to 450F. (Please see notes about cooking temp!)
- Melt 1.5 tablespoon (or more) of butter in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish with a pinch each of onion powder, red pepper flakes, and thyme, as well as 1 tsp. of minced garlic. (If you're frying instead of baking your grilled cheese, you can still prepare your seasoned butter in the microwave and brush it on your bread, or you can melt it in the pan)
- When the butter is melted, stir the mixture and brush it evenly on one side of each slide of bread.Place one of the buttered sides of bread down, add the cheese, and top it with the other piece of bread, buttered side up.
- When the oven is ready, cook for 5 minutes on a baking sheet, or until it looks how you want it to!Flip, and cook on the other side for about the same amount of time, or until it's cooked to your liking.
- Cut in half (or don't!), eat, and fall in love!
- Wondering what I mean by "a pinch?" Well, I never measure for this particular recipe because it's so hard to screw up, but if you have no idea where to start, I'd define a pinch as about ⅛th of a teaspoon.
- If you haven't tried making it in the oven before, play around with the temperature/time a bit until you find out what works for you! 450 F is what I've found is best for my sandwiches, but this will depend on the type of bread you use, how much cheese you use, etc. It will also be different for you depending on how cooked you want your sandwich to be...some like it crispy and some prefer it on the softer side!
- Keep a closer eye on the grilled cheese the first time you make it in the oven so it doesn't burn. Once you've figured out the right temperature for your sandwich, you can "set it and forget it" (other than flipping it halfway through!
- ***I use old/sharp (same difference) white cheddar - choose your favorite and use more or less depending on your preference.
Are you surprised by the seasoning I use or is that what you expected?
If it seems like I was way too excited about a grilled cheese sandwich...SUE ME! Haha, but seriously, this is a GOOD sandwich. I also think the color and texture the seasoning adds to the bread makes it look a little fancier. Wouldn't you say?
I'd love to hear any of your grilled cheese hacks for making this delicious meal! Let me know down below and you KNOW I'll give it a try!
xo - C
PS. If you liked this recipe, you won't want to miss these either: