Looking for a delicious vegan taco filling or pizza topping? Look no further than shredded smoked tofu! This simple recipe is easy to make and packs a ton of flavor.
Shredded smoked tofu is an easy and delicious way to add flavor to your vegan tacos or pizza. It has a slightly smoky flavor that pairs well with Mexican spices or pepperoni/sausage toppings. I've become incredibly addicted to this recipe and I make it every Sunday night now. Then, I keep the shredded tofu in my fridge and I can quickly add it to these little tortilla pizzas I make all the time, put it in salads, on tacos, etc. Think of it as the shredded chicken substitute you never knew you needed or you've always wanted!
What is Smoked Tofu?
Smoked tofu is a type of tofu that has been smoked and then pressed. The smoking process gives the tofu a smoky flavor and a slightly firm texture. This makes it perfect for a vegan taco filling or pizza!
How to Shred Tofu
Shredding smoked tofu is easy! Simply grate the block of tofu on a cheese grater, just like you would with cheese. Since smoked tofu is already pressed, you don't need to press it first. It's already nice and firm so it won't crumble to pieces when you grate it on a cheese grater.
How to Use Shredded Smoked Tofu
There are a ton of ways to use shredded smoked tofu! Here are a few ideas:
- In a vegan taco filling, mixed with spices and salsa
- As a vegan pizza topping, mixed with sauce and vegetables
- On top of a salad for some added protein
- As part of a breakfast scramble
The possibilities are endless! I basically use this recipe in place of anywhere else you would use shredded chicken.
Tortilla Pizzas with Shredded Tofu
My favorite way to use this recipe is on tortilla pizzas.
I spray tortillas with a little bit of olive oil. Then, I bake them at 425F for about five minutes so the shell is a bit crispy. Then, I spread them with BBQ sauce. Next, I top them with shredded mozzaralla, shredded tofu, and red onion. Broil them in the for a few minutes and you've got a delicious tortilla pizza ready for you!
Give shredded smoked tofu a try in your favorite recipe today. You won't be disappointed!
Why Use Shredded Tofu?
There are a few reasons why shredded smoked tofu makes a great vegan taco filling or pizza topping:
- It's delicious! The smoked tofu gives the tacos a smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with the other savory flavors.
- It's easy to make. Shredding the tofu is a quick and easy process, and it only takes about half an hour to cook.
- It's healthy. Tofu is an awesome source of protein and calcium!
- It's affordable. Tofu is a budget-friendly ingredient, and it goes a long way when used in recipes like this.
Can you grate firm tofu?
Yes, you can grate firm tofu! In fact, it's a must that you use firm or extra-firm tofu when making shredded smoked tofu. The firmer the tofu, the less likely it is to crumble when grated.
Shredded Smoked Tofu
- 180 g smoked tofu* Do not sub regular tofu!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari soya sauce will also work
- 1-2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven to 300F (150C). Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.
- Remove the smoked tofu from the package and gently dry it with a paper towel (you don't need to press it).Using the biggest side of the cheese grater, shred the entire block of tofu.
- Add the shredded tofu to a large bowl. Add in the olive oil, tamari, liquid smoke, and stir. Add the rest of the seasonings and stir well.
- Spread out the shredded tofu on the baking sheet.Bake for 30 minutes** (or until you get the desired texture), stirring halfway through. Add to pizzas, tacos, salads, or anywhere else you would use shredded chicken!
That's it! You're now the proud owner of own of my most-used recipes of all time. Hope you love it as much as I do!
Other tofu recipes
This recipe is just one of several tofu recipes I have on the site. You'll find a bunch of them here, including these favorites:
Leave a Reply