Soup season: I welcome you with open arms! Let’s kick it off with this smoky tomato & lentil soup. Less than 10 ingredients and SO incredibly easy to make. I’ve been doubling this recipe each week and I still manage to look forward to it all the time! I think you will too.
My new soup obsession
I’ve been on a smoked paprika kick lately (just check out my vodka sauce for pasta recipe and you’ll see why) and this soup is in line with that!
A tomato lentil soup on its own is incredible, but with the addition of some smoked paprika, this cozy soup recipe is next level.
Here’s why I love it:
- It’s VERY easy to make
- Inexpensive ingredients
- Makes great leftovers
- Freezes well (let it cool completely before freezing)
- Easy to double or triple, etc.
Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup Ingredients
This is all you need to bring it to life in your own kitchen:
- Canned diced tomatoes (preferably without salt)
- Uncooked red lentils
- Canned coconut milk (lite and regular both work well, I use lite)
- Olive oil
- Diced white or yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Vegetable broth
- Smoked paprika
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
What to serve with your smoky tomato lentil soup
Of course, this soup is just perfect on its own. But I’ve got tons of great options for you to pair it with!
My personal favorite is mini grilled cheese sandwiches with pesto and white cheddar (find the recipe here!). But pretty much any grilled cheese will do.
Here are a few other great options:
- WHIPPED FETA GRILLED CHEESE WITH BLISTERED TOMATOES
- GOAT CHEESE GRILLED CHEESE WITH HONEY AND RED PEPPER FLAKES
- GARLIC SAGE BUTTER GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
If you don’t want to commit to an entire grilled cheese sandwich, good old fashioned soup crackers will work great! And don’t even get me started on how good it tastes with these garlic butter croutons…
Smoky Tomato and Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cups white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned
- 14 oz lite coconut milk canned
- 2 cups vegetable broth add 1/2 cup to 1 cup more if the soup is too thick for your preference
- 1 cup red lentils uncooked
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt plus more to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until soft and fragrant, about five minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, coconut milk, smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Bring soup to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally until the lentils are tender, about 30-35 minutes. If the soup is too thick, stir in 1/2 to 1 cup more broth to reach your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper (and more red pepper flakes if you like it spicy!). Serve hot.
Before you go…I have a feeling you’ll want to look at these recipes too if you’ve got canned tomatoes or dry lentil to use up:
- CHEESY BEAN & LENTIL VEGETARIAN CASSEROLE
- MY FAMOUS ONE-POT RED LENTIL COCONUT CURRY RECIPE
- CREAMY CARROT COCONUT TOMATO SOUP
Enjoy, my fellow soup lovers!