A mix of white rice with vegan spicy sausages, peppers, onions, and just the right mix of seasoning and sauce makes these spicy vegan sausages with peppers and rice the perfect plant-based comfort food recipe for weeknight dinners!
My go-to vegan comfort food recipe
You might know XO&So is a vegetarian comfort food blog, but I love sharing vegan comfort food recipes too. I make a great effort to only share vegetarian recipes where you'd never miss meat or fish. At the same time, I make sure my vegan comfort food recipes don't leave you craving cheese, dairy, eggs, etc.
So this dish with spicy vegan sausages with peppers and rice is one you can be sure will satisfy all your comfort food cravings and then some!
Are you transitioning to fall recipes yet or holding onto summer for dear life? For me, it really depends on the day. I associate the cozy flavors in this dish with cold weather comfort food, but that certainly hasn't stopped me from eating this recipe at least twice a week all summer!
And how could I not?
It's got so much going for it:
- SUPER easy to make
- Packed with flavor
- Just spicy enough to excite your tastebuds without making you cry
- Plant-based, vegan, vegetarian–you name it! But the kind of vegan recipe you could serve to meat eaters and they wouldn't think twice about eating it.
- Makes GREAT leftovers
- Ideal for vegan meal prep
- Doesn't call for too many ingredients
Let's talk about vegan sausages
Plant-based meats have come a LONG way. And if you're new to that world, I'm here to offer my favorite suggestions because I've tried a lot of them. I won't lie–some of them are straight up BAD. It might take some experimenting to find vegan sausages or other meat alternatives that you like. But it's so worth the effort!
For my spicy vegan sausages with peppers and rice, you can't beat Yves Spicy Italian Veggie Sausages (not sponsored–just love them!). These are my go-to for vegan sausages because you can find them almost anywhere, they're easy to cook, perfectly seasoned and spiced, and they're versatile.
How to Make Spicy Vegan Sausages with Peppers and Rice
First, you'll cook your rice in a separate pot according to package directions.
While the rice is cooking, heat a large pan or skillet on medium heat. Add your olive oil, then cook the peppers, onions, and garlic for 8-10 minutes.
Add the marinara sauce, vegan sausages, and seasonings. Continue cooking for about three more minutes.
Next, add the vegetable broth and bring the sausage/peppers mixture to a boil.
Once the mixture is boiling and the rice has cooked, add the rice to the sausage/peppers mixture and stir well. Turn the heat to medium low and continue cooking until the broth has been absorbed and you have the consistency you desire.
Taste test and add salt and pepper. If you'd like it spicier, now's the time to add some more ground cayenne pepper.
Top each serving with fresh chopped parsley – don't skip this! It really finishes the dish off.
Spicy Vegan Sausages with Peppers and Rice
- 1.5 cups white rice measured uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion diced, about 1.5-2 cups
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves minced garlic about 4 tsp
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 spicy vegan sausages, sliced or diced or 385 grams of vegan sausage. I use Yves Spicy Italian Veggie Sausages (they're wonderful!)
- fresh parsley garnish each bowl with approx. 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh parsley – don't skip this!
- salt and pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.While the rice is cooking, heat a large skillet or pan on medium heat. Add olive oil.Add the onion, garlic, and peppers. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chopped vegan sausages, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, ground cayenne pepper, and paprika. Mix well, and cook for 3 minutes.Add broth, and bring to a boil.
- Once the peppers/sausages mix has come to a boil, add the cooked rice to the mix. Stir well.Turn the heat to medium low, and stir regularly. Keep cooking until all of the broth has been absorbed (likely 5-10 minutes) and you have the consistency you desire.Taste, and season with salt and pepper as you'd like. If you'd like it spicier, you can add more ground cayenne pepper now. Serve hot, and top each serving with at least 1 tsp. of fresh parsley.
This recipe is really easy and very yummy. Didn’t have as much broth but still worked out. I had some spicy vegan Italian sausages frozen that I was not sure what to do with and they taste great in this recipe !
Chelsea Kram – XO&So: Vegetarian Comfort Food
Woohoo! I'm so happy you liked it 🙂