This super cheesy tortellini bake doesn't skimp on the cheese, the sauce, or the deliciousness. Made with a mix of marinara and alfredo sauces, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan, it's the definition of vegetarian comfort food! I think it's also gotta be the simplest of all my easy comfort food recipes.
Cheesy tortellini bake
I didn't come here to do vegetarian comfort food halfway. If I'm going to call something cheesy, or saucy, or any other adjective, I've really got to mean it.
And you can bet my cheesy tortellini bake is no exception.
This isn't your average three cheese tortellini recipe.
Tortellini and marinara sauce is great on its own. But I wanted to take things to the next level.
It needed alfredo too. Then I thought, it needs ricotta too. Okay, just one more ingredient...mozzarella. Okay, okay, just a sprinkle of parmesan for the finishing touch. Voila. Tortellini perfection.
While it definitely falls under the category of easy tortellini recipes, I'd say it falls under "best dinner everrrrrr!" too!
What's not to love about a vegetarian casserole?
- Most casseroles are pretty easy to make.
- They also tend to keep really well in the fridge so they're awesome leftovers.
- Oh, you can usually freeze them too!
- They're customizable so you can use what you have and improvise for whatever you're out of
Other easy comfort food recipes and casseroles
On that note, here are some of my other favorite cheesy vegetarian casserole recipes:
This is all you need:
- A package of refrigerated three cheese tortellini (I use Olivieri)
- Marinara sauce
- Alfredo sauce (you can used jarred sauce but I also have a recipe for the BEST alfredo sauce ever here.
- Shredded mozzarella (shred it yourself - don't by pre-shredded cheese! There's a difference. Read about it here.)
- Shredded parmesan
- A sprinkle of parsley to top it off with if you'd like!
How to cook cheese tortellini
I said this is an easy recipe, and I meant it. if you're like me, the hardest part is figuring out how to cook cheese tortellini without your pot boiling over because you get distracted by a handsome shirtless jogger out your window...
But I digress.
Pretty much any pasta you cook tastes best when it's boiled in salty water!!! Cheese tortellini included.
This recipe calls for refrigerated tortellini. Not frozen. Follow the package directions for cooking it, and be careful not to overcook it. Since it's going to go in the oven for a bit, you don't want the noodles or the tortellini filling to get overcooked.
Start by cooking your refrigerated tortellini according to package directions (mine calls for 6-8 minutes) in a large pot of salted water. Preheat your oven to 400F.
While your pasta cooks, pour marinara sauce, alfredo sauce, and ricotta cheese into a large bowl. Stir it all up so it looks like this.
Then, shred your parmesan and mozzarella.
When the pasta is done, drain it and return it to the pot. Now, dump the sauce mixture in and gently stir.
Pour the saucy tortellini into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Cover it with the shredded cheese.
Now pop that baby into the oven. Bake it for 18-20 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted to your liking!
Don't have any alfredo sauce on hand? Go ahead and use three cups of marinara sauce instead. You can also go half and half alfredo and marinara if you want. But just make sure you're adding at least four cups of sauce/ricotta.
Feel free to add your favorite veggies in too. Sauteed mushrooms and spinach come to mind! Yum!
Super Easy and Cheesy Tortellini Bake
Super Easy and Cheesy Tortellini Bake
- 750 g refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup alfredo sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella shredded
- ½ cup parmesan shredded
- small handful of parsley, optional for topping
- Cook your refrigerated tortellini according to package directions (mine calls for 6-8 minutes) in a large pot of salted water. Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Mix the marinara sauce, alfredo sauce, and ricotta cheese in a large bowl and mix well.When the pasta is done cooking, drain, and return to the pot. Now, add the sauce mixture to the tortellini and gently stir.Pour the saucy tortellini into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover it with the shredded parmesan and mozzarella.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (or until the cheese on top is golden and bubbly) on the middle rack.Top with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, if you'd like.
Give this tortellini bake a try next time you're looking for easy comfort food recipes your whole family will dig into!
Sending lots of love your way!
XO - C