Tomato soup is one of my all-time favorite foods, and this carrot coconut tomato soup is a healthy and vegan version that has all the richness you want out of a meal!
The best vegan soup recipe
Last year, I posted my tomato cheddar soup recipe which is another version I love. It has cheese and cow’s milk in it though, so I wanted to add a vegan version for you guys to try. And honestly, it’s rich enough on its own thanks to the coconut milk you don’t need anything else! Another thing I like about this soup is that it uses a lot of ingredients you probably already have on hand, so it won’t require a massive grocery shopping trip to get everything!Jump to Recipe
Start by adding a few tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven and let it heat up on medium heat.
Next, you’ll add a cup or so of diced onions and 4 cloves of minced garlic (or 2 tsp. prepared garlic) and let that simmer for about five minutes. After that time, add a teaspoon of turmeric (or more if you want!) and some salt.
Add your chopped carrots and a 28 oz. of whole peeled tomatoes. Mash the tomatoes with your spoon to help break them up.
Add a cup of vegetable broth or a heaping teaspoon of Better than Bouillon vegetable base mixed into one cup of hot water. Stir, and let this simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until your carrots are soft.
Once your carrots are soft and the soup is done simmering, remove from heat.
Transfer to a stand blender or use an immersion blender and blend until the mixture is totally smooth. Use caution whenever you’re blending hot soup. ALWAYS make sure you leave a bit of room for steam to escape if you’re using a stand blender. Just angle the lid so air can escape in the opposite direction of your face.
Once the soup is blended, add a can of coconut milk. I recommend using full fat coconut milk, but I’m sure it would still be good with lite coconut milk.
What to serve with this soup
This recipe is awesome to serve on its own, but you can also add crackers or dip bread into the soup! My favorite way to eat it is by dipping grilled cheese into it. I make grilled cheese sandwiches in the oven, because it makes them crispier and just even more delicious somehow! I have a 10-second hack for making the best grilled cheese ever. You can find it here.
Vegan Creamy Carrot Coconut Tomato Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions diced
- 1 tsp salt or more, to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric ground
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups carrots chopped, about four large
- 28 oz tomatoes whole, peeled
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sugar
- Sauté diced onions and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes, then add turmeric and salt (and sugar, if using)
- Add chopped carrots and a can of whole peeled tomatoes. Mash the tomatoes with your spoon a bit.
- Mix and let cook for a few minutes, then add veggie broth. Let simmer for 30-35* minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender or regular blender and blend until smooth, then add one can of coconut milk. Stir and serve with crackers, bread, grilled cheese, or on its own!
- I recommend using full fat coconut milk!
- I used Better Than Bouillon vegetable base and added it to hot water instead of veggie broth on its own, but either one works.
- Be careful blending hot soup. If you're transferring it to a standing blender, be sure to angle the blender lid a bit so steam can escape. Wear oven mitts and keep a kitchen towel handy.
- *Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your carrots. If you cut your carrots into thin slices, it won't take as long to cook. For bigger pieces, cook longer.
This vegan soup is just as good the next day…or a few days after! I reheat mine in the microwave but you could reheat it on the stove too.
Hope you love it!
xo – C