There are some vegan or vegetarian recipes that are good considering they're vegan/vegetarian. Then there are other recipes that are just plain good!!!! And this is one of them. And I know what you're thinking: THAT?! That is the best vegan sandwich?! But I promise, even though it looks simple, its taste will surprise you...in the best way.
With only a handful of ingredients (including very fresh bread, of course!) this smoked tofu sandwich becomes the best (and high protein) vegan sandwich you'll have. It's SO fresh with a bit of crunch and plenty of flavour. No cooking or toasting is required (unless you want to toast the bread), so it's ready in a few minutes. Here's how to make it!
What You Need to Make the Ultimate Vegan Sandwich with Smoked Tofu
Important note: the ingredient amounts will vary greatly depending on the size of the bread you use. I use a really large loaf of sourdough so I use half of a block of smoked tofu. But if you're using smaller, or regular sized bread, you might only use a quarter or a third of the tofu.Jump to Recipe
First things first: smoked tofu! It has to be extra-firm smoked tofu. Regular tofu will not do in this recipe...you will be disappointed if you use anything else. When you use smoked tofu, it (naturally) gives it that smoky flavor that kind of makes this recipe reminiscent of a turkey sandwich. It's also really firm, so there's no need to press it and it won't fall apart when you try to cut it.
The next most important ingredient is the bread! Fresh sourdough is what I have found to be the best. When it's soft and fresh...there's nothing better.
You'll also need some really thinly sliced red onions. Emphasis on the thinly sliced so the red onions don't overpower the rest of the sandwich. Then, you'll also need some sliced cucumbers...it's up to you if you peel them first or not.
Next, you'll need mayonnaise! For a vegan sandwich, you'll obviously need vegan mayonnaise, and luckily that's a vegan alternative that tastes quite good in most cases. But whatever kind of mayo you use, give yourself a generous serving of it.
Last but not least: salt and pepper! These bring out the flavors in the rest of the sandwich so don't be shy with them.
Here's another easy dinner or lunch recipe to try next: CRISPY OVEN BAKED BROCCOLI CHEDDAR QUESADILLAS
Again, I know it's not the prettiest sandwich or the best photos...but the taste MORE than makes up for it. I posted a TikTok featuring this high protein vegan sandwich months ago and to this day, people are still regularly saving it!
The Ultimate Vegan Sandwich with Smoked Tofu
- 2 slices fresh sourdough bread
- mayonnaise use lots — likely at least 2 tbsp
- smoked tofu cut into thin slices, I use about half a block per sandwich
- cucumber, sliced it's up to you if you peel the cucumbers or not
- red onion very thinly sliced
- salt and pepper don't skip this!
- Cut your cucumber into thin slices and your red onion into very thin slices. Open a block of extra firm smoked tofu and gently blot with a paper towel to remove any liquid (no need to press this kind of tofu).
- Spread a generous amount of mayonnaise onto fresh sourdough bread. Add lots of salt and pepper.Pile the sliced cucumbers, sliced tofu, and sliced red onion onto the bread and top with the other half of bread. Cut in half and enjoy!
I really hope you'll try this one and report back! Even if you aren't vegan or vegetarian, this sandwich truly will delight you. And like I said, feel free to add cheese if you want to 😉
Oh—and if you're looking for something to make with your leftover smoked tofu, my smoked shredded tofu is a MUST.
You might also like:
- Crispy Air Fryer Tofu Recipe I Make Twice a Week
- Oven-Baked "Doritos" Tofu Triangles
- Spicy Honey Garlic Tofu Bites
- Sweet and Smoky Baked Tofu
Until next time,
Leave a Reply