You know I’m all about comfort food over here. So when I say something is one of the best comfort foods you can imagine, you know I mean it! And when you can make a traditionally carnivorous dish into a vegetarian option, even better! That’s why I’m soooo excited to share with you a vegetarian version of one of the most comforting, rich, and delicious meals of all time: creamy beef and shells! With the help of Gardein Beefless Ground, you’ll never need the traditional version of this dish again. Prepare to fall in love.
A new twist on a classic recipeJump to Recipe
A few years ago, my vegetarian world opened right up when I discovered Gardein’s Beefless Ground. This post isn’t sponsored in any way, FYI, I just love the stuff! I regularly use it in one of my other favorite vegetarian comfort food recipes: Vegetarian “Beef” Stroganoff. I also love using it in tacos or for a vegetarian bolognese. YUM!
Vegetarian creamy beef & shells with Gardein Beefless Ground
Besides using Beefless Ground instead of ground beef, you’ll find this recipe sticks pretty closely to the traditional version. Of course, I’ve played around with the spices and ingredients to get it JUST right before I shared it with you. I’ve included some smoked paprika for an extra little kick, and the Italian seasoning adds something special too.
So, for this recipe, you’ll need:
- Olive/avocado oil
- Diced white/yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Vegetable broth
- Gardein Beefless Ground
- Tomato sauce
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream/whipping cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese (I use old/sharp cheddar)
- Medium pasta shells
- Italian seasoning
- Smoked paprika
- Dried parsley
This stuff is soooo creamy, tasty, and rich. Comfort food epitomized!!!! I hope you’ll give it a try. If you’re on the lookout for other comforting pasta dishes, don’t miss my “Mac of the Month” recipes where I shared a new, unique mac and cheese recipe each month.
Vegetarian Creamy Beef and Shells with Gardein Beefless Ground
- 3 cups medium shells measured uncooked
- 1 package Gardein Beefless Ground
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white or yellow onion diced (about 1/2 a large onion)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning or more, to taste
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 , 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups cheddar cheese shredded, I use old/sharp cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream/whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese cubed, (2 oz)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in a large pot of salted, boiling water; drain well. Remove the Gardein Beefless Ground from the freezer so it can start to thaw a bit.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add diced onion and cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic after about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and dried parsley until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and tomato sauce, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens a bit (becomes less liquidy) - about 8 minutes.
- Add the Gardein Beefless Ground, using your spoon to break it up. Cook for approx. 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, shredded cheese, and diced cream cheese, until heated through and melted, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Serve immediately and top with more parsley (optional). Leftovers* can be reheated and consumed within 4-5 days.
Hope you love it!
XO – C