Here it is my friends: the glorious vegetarian fish sandwich with homemade tartar sauce that will satisfy all your Filet-O-Fish cravings and then some. Thanks to Gardein Golden Fishless Filets (not sponsored – I just love them!) this sandwich truly has everything you want in a fish sandwich recipe…without the fish.
As for the vegetarian fish sandwich SAUCE? I’ve got a homemade tartar sauce recipe that’s truly to die for!
I’ve got to say, this sandwich stands out among all sandwiches – not just vegetarian sandwiches. I really hope you’ll give it a try!
“Do vegetarians eat fish?”
If I had a dollar for every time I got this question! Definitely an understandable question because a lot of people say they’re vegetarian but they still eat fish.
Technically no, vegetarians do NOT eat fish!
Instead, someone who has a vegetarian diet PLUS fish and other seafood is what’s known as pescatarian.
That being said, I also totally understand why a pescatarian would call themselves vegetarian instead because it’s easier and quicker to explain.
Now, back to the vegetarian fish sandwich!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this SUPER easy vegetarian recipe:
- Gardein Golden Fishless Filets (2 pieces on each sandwich!)
- Really good quality burger buns (I used brioche buns)
And no “fish” sandwich is complete without tartar sauce, right?
Homemade tartar sauce recipe
So here’s what you’ll need for that:
- Dijon mustard
- Sweet green relish
- Worchestershire sauce (I use a vegetarian version without fish in it)
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
There are so many tartar sauce recipe variations out there. Some have mustard, some don’t. Some with dill, some without. But this is how I like it and I really hope you’ll like it too! Not only do I spread it on the sandwich, but dipping your fries – or “chips” for my UK friends – is sooo good too.
Vegetarian fish sandwich toppings
So I’m pretty sure the classic Filet-O-Fish just has tartar sauce and cheese on the bun. But I really like the fresh crunch you get when you add lettuce! Tomato and avocado would be really good too, I think.
Basically go ahead and use any of your favorite fish sandwich toppings and add them to a vegetarian fish sandwich and it’ll be good.
Other vegetarian sandwiches
Before we get to the recipe, I wanted to show you a few other vegetarian sandwiches you might be interested in.
First, take a look at: THE CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH THAT CHANGED MY LIFE
And of course, this list must also include my grilled cheeses of the month sandwiches! A whole bunch of unique grilled cheese recipes that also happen to be vegetarian.
Vegetarian Fish Sandwich with Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 1 large white burger bun I use brioche
- 2 Gardein Golden Fishless Filets 2 fit on one bun
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce
- 3 tbsp homemade tartar sauce or more, see recipe below
Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sweet green relish
- the juice of half a lemon
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill or 3 tsp fresh (or more)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce I use a version without fish
- salt and pepper
For the Vegetarian Fish Sandwich
- Cook the Gardein Golden Fishless Filets according to package directions.Add a slice of cheese, tartar sauce, lettuce, and Golden Fishless Filets to the bottom of the burger bun. Top with the other half.
For the Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour to really let the flavors develop. Use within 5 days.
There you have it! So easy to make and so so so delicious. Perfect for summer dinners or anytime you’re craving vegetarian comfort food.
Keep me posted if you try it out! Thanks so much for stopping by.
Until next time,
XO – C