I have your favorite new cozy soup recipe for the winter season! With nutmeg and maple syrup as finishing touches, my white bean and potato soup is just the thing to eat when you're cozied up by the fire or frantically shovelling food into your mouth while you have a three-minute break in the day. Dig in!
I'm a sucker for a great soup recipe. And this one felt comforting and classic but just unique enough, you know? I also love the addition of the beans for more protein and fibre!Jump to Recipe
I'll talk more about the ingredients below, but the two particularly unique ones are maple syrup and nutmeg. Nutmeg in savory recipes is one of my favorite things (I almost always put it in red sauce. Case in point: my zucchini lasagna roll ups).
The first time I made this recipe I didn't include the maple syrup. But I felt like it was missing something and when I tried adding maple syrup, I knew that's all it needed all along!
A lot of soups are sweetened with sugar so this wasn't really that crazy of a move...but when you hear about a soup recipe having nutmeg and maple syrup, it definitely sounds a little different.
What I Love About This Soup Recipe
- Perfect for cold, cozy days
- Easy to make
- Lots of protein and fibre
- Reheats well
- Customizable (you can play around with seasonings etc)
- Olive oil (for sautéing the onion)
- Vegetable broth (chicken will work too)
- White onion (or yellow will work)
- Yellow potatoes (Yukon gold) cut into big chunks
- Minced garlic (I prefer to use fresh garlic that you mince yourself but jarred will work too)
- Milk (I use 2%...I haven't experimented with plant-based milk for this recipe)
- Canned white kidney beans (AKA cannellini beans)
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh parsley
- Nutmeg (just a pinch)
- Maple syrup (the real stuff!)
- Salt and pepper
What to Serve with White Bean Soup with Potatoes
See that gorgeous cheese bread beside the soup? It's the perfect thing to serve with it!
Grab the recipe here: ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS GARLIC CHEESE BREAD
You can also serve it with a crusty loaf of French bread for dipping. I also always love crumbling up some soup crackers on top!
White Bean and Potato Soup with Nutmeg and Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth heated
- 4 cups yellow potatoes peeled and chopped into big chunks, about four medium-large potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup milk I use 2%
- 19 oz white kidney beans (Cannellini beans) drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped or more to taste plus more for garnish
- a pinch nutmeg to taste
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup the real stuff!
- salt and pepper generously season to taste
- Heat the vegetable broth until simmering.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook onion until softened.
- Stir in the heated vegetable broth, potatoes, garlic, nutmeg, and Italian seasoning.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally) or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the beans.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender. You can leave some chunks if you want to or make it totally smooth.
- Add the milk. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until heated thoroughly.Stir in the fresh parsley.
- Add the maple syrup, stir.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.